Membership in Young Clergy Women International
YCWI self-defines as a Christian organization that is for persons who are:
- young (under 40)
YCWI hopes that a wide variety of individuals will read our magazine, Fidelia.
We do, though, restrict our more interactive programs to those that meet all of our membership criteria. To join, complete the registration form. Please be sure to note that we require a personal email address (non-work). Thank you!
Membership Criteria and Exceptions
As of September 1, 2018, YCWI’s new membership policy is as follows:
Membership in Young Clergy Women International is open to those who meet all of the following requirements:
- Our membership is open only to those who have not reached their 40th birthday.
- Christian clergy are individuals whose self-identified gifts for ministry have been affirmed, supported, and lifted up by a community of faith, such that the term “clergy” is a meaningful and appropriate term for their role in their particular tradition, and who can provide documentation/endorsement of such support.
- Women who are not accountable to a faith community, an institution, or a higher governing body (such as a denomination), are not eligible for membership.
- Women who are serving as lay pastors, temporary ministers, student ministers, or interns are not eligible for membership, unless they fall under the exception categories.
- Advanced theological education or training is typical, but not required.
- Exceptional Membership may be applied for by those who are serving within a denomination where they may not seek authorization or affirmation of their call to ministry in a clerical capacity. Exceptional memberships are considered on a case-by-case basis.
- We use an inclusive definition of “women” and “female.” All who identify and minister as women are eligible for membership, including trans women and cis women. No prospective member will be required to provide medical or legal documentation of her gender identity. Genderqueer and non-binary people who feel that their membership in a women’s organization is appropriate are also eligible.
Women wishing to affiliate with the organization must complete the online application form, clearly identifying their ministry location, denomination (if applicable), date of birth, date of start of affirmed service (e.g. ordination, consecration), and any relevant theological degrees, training, certificates, or credentials. The Registrar shall verify information through whatever means are available.
Expectations of Members:
- Provide a valid e-mail address, and be willing to receive occasional mailings.
- Respect the confidentiality of our on-line and in-person forums.
- Be supportive and respectful of the diversity of experiences and viewpoints within the membership of the Project.
- Hold as confidential any passwords to on-line fora.
Women who wish to leave the organization may do so by contacting the Board.
Behavior that violates the above membership expectations or is disruptive to the community should be brought to the attention of the community board. The community board may then initiate the following procedures that may result in an involuntary separation.
- First, one or two members from the community board shall approach the member and ask for a correction or explanation of behavior, after the community board chairwoman has been informed.
- If that is ineffective, the matter may be and voted on as a full community sub-board. A simple majority will decide.
- If the above vote results in a tie, the chairwoman of the other sub-board shall be brought in to break the tie.
Additional Membership Information
Women who are serving clergy-like roles while waiting on ordination or completing ordination requirements are not eligible for Young Clergy Women International, but there is a companion group for you! Check out On the Road to Ordination.
Ordination exceptions are made by subcommittee of the YCWI board. To apply for an exception, send an email to Membership.